"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" ~ Seneca

Saturday, May 28, 2011

I'm a member, are you?

I applied to become a member of the National Weight Control Registry to help keep myself accountable. I learned about the registry through the site Refuse to Regain. Filling out the various questionnaires is a good chance to self asses and see how far I've come.
I started my weight loss journey in 2009. Not that this was the first time I was on a diet. Hell I went to my first weight watchers meeting when I was 9! But this time was different. I was choosing a lifestyle change. Not just changing they way I ate and what I ate (thank you food journaling), but also changing my activity level (not difficult when it's nearly nil). I started wearing my pedometer ever day and still do. After a month into this lifestyle change, I started the Couch 2 5k running program. I took a few weeks longer than the usual 9, but completed the program and ran in the local Mother's Day 5K! I was 186 pounds and finished the 5k in 36 minutes which was under my goal of 40 minutes. I continued running through the summer months and the weight melted off. In the fall/winter I stopped running (weather weanie) but continued to walk and go to the occasional step aerobics class. By January 2010 I was at 167 pounds, a 43 pound loss in one year, I'll take it. 2010 showed me a 16 pound loss, bringing me to 151. And now here at the end of May 2011, I'm currently hovering between 148-151. Hence the previous post on being stuck

It's been quite the journey (still ongoing). While I wish I could say it was this one thing that did the trick and has made this weight loss successful, but I know that isn't true. It has been a little weight watchers skills, a little Jillian Michaels, a little mizfit, and many members of the 3 Fat Chicks community and a lot of perseverance, that have helped to make me who I am today. And for that I am extremely grateful.

1 comment: