"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" ~ Seneca

Sunday, January 20, 2013

A-ha moment

An aha moment while running?
How can that be? I don't consider myself a real runner. I consider myself a wanna be runner.

When do you become a real runner?

Is it when you finish your first official race?
Is it when you finish your first race without having to walk some parts?
I'm not sure. I've done a few 5k's and a few 10k's, both official and unofficial/virtual.

But back to my aha moment on the treadmill. While jogging (per the LifeFitness treadmill, 4mph is jogging 6mph is running) I could hear my track coach's voice in my head (I threw the shotput & discus. I was not a runner by any stretch of the imagination) talking about increasing your leg turnover rate- huh? Where the heck did that come from? I haven't been on a track & field team in 24years-yes I'm that old, but what a wow moment.
This is the FIRST time since I started running to jump start my lifestyle change where I ever thought about how fast my legs were turning over.
This was the first time I also pondered about what kind of running strike I have- I have no idea but guess I am a hard heel striker.

Maybe I am becoming a runner after all?.

No comments:

Post a Comment