"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" ~ Seneca

Friday, January 18, 2013

Birthdays are a time for reflection


I remember my mom saying  “I remember the day you were born” and thinking to myself  “no way”.
Now more than ever, I believe that statement.
I remember arriving at the hospital only 32 weeks pregnant, in the early stages of labor,  shocked when they told me that in Canada they do not try to stop labor.  
I remember being sent home after 1.5  hours with no progress and contractions had 'stopped'.  
I remember laboring at home, arriving back at the hospital 3 hours later and staring daggers at the doctor who sent us home, who was just ending his shift.  The shocked look on the nurses faces when they checked and said I was a full 10 cm dilated.  The surprise in the doctor’s voice when he broke my water and found a little foot.  Being prepped for a c-section, not having time to process what was actually happening.
I have had 11 years to process these events and I am thankful everything turned out okay.
Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment